Need to enroll in or renew your medical coverage for 2022? Enroll before December 15 for coverage effective January 1, 2022.

Healthcare Cost Assistance for


Helping you afford the care you need.

Benefit Summary

For eligible homecare and personal support workers who have Medicare, Healthcare Cost Assistance benefits will help with the costs of:

  • Monthly premiums for Medicare Part B (up to $170.10/month in 2022)
  • Monthly premiums for Medicare Part D, Supplemental or Advantage plans (up to $44/month in 2022)
  • Out-of-pocket expenses, such as deductibles, co-payments, coinsurance and prescriptions for services covered by Medicare (up to $6,600 in 2022)

Reimbursement amounts may change from year to year.

If you are eligible for Healthcare Cost Assistance benefits, you will receive a Benefit Convenience Card (a Mastercard debit card) to pay for your covered out-of-pocket medical expenses. The card will come from Ameriflex (the Benefits Convenience Administrator). For more information about the Benefit Convenience Card and how to use it, click here.

Important Things to Know
  • If you’re over 65 (or turning 65 in the next three months) and not already receiving a monthly check from Social Security, you need to sign up to get Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance). You can sign up online at or by phone at 1-800-772-1213.
  • If you are under 65 and eligible for Social Security due to disability, you may also be eligible for Medicare. You should be notified by Social Security of your eligibility status along with your next steps.
  • Remember that Carewell SEIU 503 Healthcare Cost Assistance is not employer-sponsored or group health insurance coverage. If you incorrectly report to the Social Security Administration that you have group coverage, your Medicare enrollment could be delayed.
  • If you’ve been using the Benefit Convenience Card to pay premiums for a Marketplace plan, one major difference with Medicare is that you can no longer use the Benefit Convenience Card for Medicare premiums. Instead you’ll need to request reimbursement of your Medicare premiums. More information can be found in the Reimbursements tab below.

Check your Eligibility

This information is for Medicare recipients: seniors over the age of 65 as well as adults under 65 with disabilities. The Social Security Administration determines your eligibility for Medicare benefits.

To see if you qualify for Healthcare Cost Assistance, please complete this eligibility questionnaire. 

A Carewell eligibility questionnaire on a mobile phone screen


Steps to Enroll

In order to enroll in Healthcare Cost Assistance, you will need to:

Fill out the required Medicare paperwork

Medicare Paperwork Forms (Digital)

These forms give the Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits team and its partners legal permission to assist you with researching, enrolling in, and maintaining your Medicare Plan (Medicare Supplement, Advantage, or Part D plan).

Submit a reimbursement claim form

Submit a reimbursement claim form to the Benefits Administrative Office with evidence of your Part B premium and evidence of your Part D, Supplemental, or Advantage plan premiums, if any.

Medicare Reimbursement Form (Digital) For proof of Part B, use your annual Social Security letter. The most common proof for Part D, Advantage, or Supplemental premiums is the invoice showing the premium amount for that plan.


If you would like to receive your Medicare reimbursement via direct deposit, please fill out this secure Direct Deposit Form with a photo of a voided check.

Direct Deposit Form (Digital)

Enrollment Confirmation

You will know you are enrolled in Healthcare Cost Assistance for your Medicare coverage when:

  • You get a check in the mail or a direct deposit into your bank account for your premiums from the Benefits Administrative Office.
  • You receive a Benefit Convenience Card in the mail to pay for your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
  • You receive a welcome packet in the mail from the Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits Administrative Office with information about your coverage, privacy policies, and Frequently Asked Questions about using the Benefit Convenience Card.

If you have not received your reimbursement for Medicare premiums by the 10th of the month, please call the Benefits Administrative Office at 1-844-507-7554, option 3, option 2.

Please feel free to call to verify your eligibility for Healthcare Cost Assistance at 1-844-507-7554, option 3, option 2.

Benefit Details

Use This Benefit
Using Your Card

Use your Benefit Convenience Card for out-of-pocket expenses covered by your Medicare Part B, Part D, Supplemental and Advantage plans, such as deductibles, copayments, coinsurance, and prescriptions. You may be asked to show proof of your expenses, so keep your Explanation of Benefits and all receipts.

You cannot use the Benefit Convenience Card:

  • for Medicare premiums (see below for information on the reimbursement process for Medicare premiums);
  • for dental care, vision care, and hearing services;
  • for medical expenses received by your spouse or dependents.
Make an appointment

Please check with your healthcare provider before making an appointment to make sure your provider is covered by Medicare and services will be covered under your Medicare coverage.

Keep Your Benefit

To ensure you continue receiving Healthcare Cost Assistance benefits, please remember to:

  • Turn in your timesheets and/or payroll vouchers at the end of each pay period.
  • Avoid recording zero hours of eligible working hours — also known as bargaining unit hours — for two months in a row. Going two months with zero hours of work could result in you losing your eligibility for Carewell SEIU 503 benefits, including Healthcare Cost Assistance.
  • Keep your personal information up to date with Carewell SEIU 503 and your employer (state, county, or brokerage)
  • Pay your premiums to your insurance carrier on time, or your carrier may terminate your plan
  • Check and respond to mail from Carewell SEIU 503, your insurance carrier, Ameriflex, and the Social Security Administration
  • Stay current on your tax filing
Medicare Premium Reimbursements

If you haven’t received your reimbursement for Medicare premiums by the 10th of the month, please call the Benefits Administrative Office at 1-844-507-7554, option 3, option 2.

Medicare Reimbursement Claim Form (Digital)
Use the Medicare Reimbursement Claim Form for reimbursements for your Medicare premium costs.

You will need to submit a reimbursement claim form with evidence of your premiums for Part B, and your premiums for Part D, Supplemental, or Advantage plans, if any. This needs to be submitted to the Benefits Administrative Office when you first become eligible for Healthcare Cost Assistance, and every time your premium amount changes (usually once a year).

Out-of-Pocket Reimbursements

Ameriflex Reimbursement Form (Digital)

If you‘ve paid for any eligible out-of-pocket expenses with your own funds, you’ll need to submit a reimbursement claim form to the Benefits Administrative Office. Please include a copy of your receipt or Explanation of Benefits. This can happen if you receive services after becoming eligible for Healthcare Cost Assistance but before receiving your Benefit Convenience Card. 

Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit Form (Digital)

We recommend signing up for direct deposit so that you can receive your reimbursement more quickly: if you complete the direct deposit form, your reimbursement will be posted to your account by the end of the following month. If you expect reimbursement by check, it will take another 5 to 15 business days for the post office to deliver the check. If it’s been more than 15 business days since you submitted your reimbursement information, you can check on the status of your reimbursement by emailing or calling 1-844-507-7554, option 3, option 2.


To continue receiving Healthcare Cost Assistance for your Medicare coverage, please remember to:

  • Complete a new reimbursement claim form for your Part B premium if your premium has changed — along with evidence of your new premium amount.
  • Complete a new reimbursement claim form every year if you have a Part D, Supplemental, and/or Advantage plan, with evidence of your new premium amounts.
  • Submit the Medicare paperwork again if you made any change to your coverage like adding a Part D or Advantage plan.

The Social Security Administration generally announces new Part B premiums in November. If you have an Advantage, Part D, or Supplemental Plan, you should receive your new bill in December. Please complete the steps above as soon as you know your new premiums.

Contact Information

Benefits Administrative Office

1-844-507-7554, option 3, option 2

Reasons to contact the Benefits Administrative Office:

  • To verify your eligibility for and enrollment in Carewell SEIU 503 Healthcare Cost Assistance for your Medicare coverage
  • Questions about reimbursements
Valley Insurance Professionals

1-503-480-0499 (extension 7)

Reasons to contact Valley Insurance Professionals:

  • If you are transitioning to Medicare coverage: your initial enrollment period starts three months before your 65th birthday, or your disability Part B effective date, and extends for three months afterwards — call anytime in this six-month period to discuss your Medicare plan options!
  • If you want to enroll in a Part D, Supplemental, or Advantage plan, -you can generally sign up for those plans either during your initial enrollment period or between October 15 and December 7.
Social Security Office

Contact the Social Security Office to enroll in Medicare Part A and B coverage. Contact the Social Security Office as soon as your initial enrollment period begins, three months before your 65th birthday.

Apply online:

Apply by phone: 1-800-772-1213 from 7 am to 7 pm, Monday – Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call at TTY 1-800-325-0778.



When calling, please identify yourself as a homecare or personal support worker receiving Carewell SEIU 503 benefits, and also have your Benefit Convenience Card with you.

Ameriflex online portal

Click here to learn more about the Ameriflex mobile app

Reasons to contact Ameriflex:

  • To check the balance on your Benefit Convenience Card, review your payment history, order a replacement card, etc.
  • If your Benefit Convenience Card was declined and you were unable to make a payment
SHIBA (the Senior Health Insurance Benefit Assistance program)

1-800-722-4134 (toll-free)

SHIBA’s webpage on the site

Contact SHIBA for guidance on:

  • How to enroll in Medicare
  • How to meet deadlines and avoid penalties
  • Rights and protections
  • Coverage and exclusions
  • Rules to obtain benefits
  • Costs associated with Medicare

Note: SHIBA counselors are most likely unaware of Carewell SEIU 503 benefits and are not qualified to answer questions about them.

Frequently Asked Questions

Read common questions about Healthcare Cost Assistance for Medicare coverage. See the FAQs page for more information.

Information for people transitioning to Medicare

If you’re currently enrolled in a Marketplace plan, you’ll need to take steps to end your Marketplace plan the day before your Medicare plan starts. The agents at Valley Insurance Professionals may be able to help you with that — call 1-844-503-7348 for assistance. Also, if you already have a Benefit Convenience Card, please hold on to it. You can continue to use it for covered Medicare copays, coinsurance, deductibles, and prescriptions as long as you remain eligible for Healthcare Cost Assistance. However, you cannot use your Benefit Convenience Card for your Medicare premiums.

How much money is on my Card?

The Benefit Convenience Card is pre-loaded with the annual amount for paying medical and prescription copays, deductibles, and coinsurance expenses for covered services and prescriptions. In 2022, that amount is $6,600, but this may change from year to year.

Does my leftover balance roll over into the next year's amount?

No. The maximum amount you can be reimbursed for covered expenses incurred in each calendar year is the set amount for that calendar year. Any portion that isn’t used for a calendar year cannot be rolled over for payment of expenses incurred in a future calendar year.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. More information.

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. To learn more about our cookie policy and how we handle personal information that you may submit through this website, please see our Privacy Policy.