Paid Time Off
Helping you take time off from work when you need to.
The Carewell SEIU 503 Paid Time Off (PTO) benefit helps you take time off from work when you need to.
Being able to take time off is important not just to your health, but also for the health of your consumer. Carewell SEIU 503 offers up to 40 hours of paid time off (PTO) benefits per year to eligible care providers.
An Improved Paid Time Off Benefit Program Is Coming Soon!
Starting in 2023, the number of care providers who will be eligible for Paid Time Off (PTO) benefits will double — and eligible care providers may be able to claim even more PTO.
The Paid Time Off (PTO) benefit is the most used Carewell SEIU 503 benefit. It allows care providers like you to take time off from work when you need to. Being able to take time off is important not just for your health, but also for the health of your consumer.
How It Works
The new PTO benefit offers up to 48 hours of paid time off benefits every year to eligible care providers. Starting in 2023, you can earn one (1) hour of PTO for every 20 hours worked. You can earn up to a maximum of four (4) hours of PTO benefit hours every month.
This New PTO Program Means:
- Potential to earn more PTO benefit hours. Eligible providers can earn up to 48 hours per year, instead of 40.
- More care providers will have access to PTO benefits. We estimate that the number of care providers who will earn PTO benefits will double under this program.
- More flexibility in earning and using PTO. Rather than only earning PTO benefits twice per year, care providers will now earn PTO hours on a monthly basis.
To prepare for the new PTO program, we need to pay out eligible care providers who have not received their PTO benefits under the old program to close it out. In February 2023, care providers who earned PTO benefits through the former program will have all their hours paid out to them. If you earned PTO benefits in 2022, make sure you have a W-9 form on file with us. If you haven’t submitted a W-9 yet, please fill and complete it now: CarewellSEIU503.org/w9.
Important Things to Know
- You must fill out a Form W-9 to be eligible for your PTO benefit. If Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits doesn’t have your W-9 on file, you won’t receive the PTO benefit.
- It isn’t your responsibility to find your replacement when you take paid leave from your consumer-employer.
- Paid time off is taxable income and that’s why you have to fill out Form W-9. If you receive $600 or more of your paid time off benefit in one year you will receive a Form 1099 by mail. The benefit is still taxable income even if you do not receive a Form 1099.
- Starting in 2023, eligible care providers will earn PTO benefits every month! Watch for our emails and mail for more information. We will be paying eligible care providers all of their earned 2022 PTO benefits automatically via check or direct deposit in February, as long as they have a W-9 form on file with us. To get paid for your earned PTO benefits, you must send us your W-9 form by February 28, 2023. Fill out the form W-9 now.
Eligibility for PTO Benefits
Read the requirements below to learn more about eligibility for Carewell SEIU 503 Paid Time Off benefits.
To be eligible for Carewell SEIU 503 paid time off benefits you must:
Work 80 or more eligible working hours — also known as bargaining unit hours — in one of the qualifying months:
- To earn 20 hours of PTO benefits in February, you must work 80 or more hours in either October, November or December of the preceding year.
- To earn 20 hours of PTO in July, you must work 80 or more hours in March, April or May of the same year.
When we talk about the number of “working hours” you need to be eligible for Carewell benefits, that means the hours paid by Acumen, DHS, and/or eXPRS on behalf of your consumer.
If you have questions about your eligibility for Paid Time Off, contact us, Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits, by calling 1-844-503-7348 or email us at carewellSEIU503benefits@risepartnership.com.
How to Request PTO
If you have worked the required number of hours to earn PTO benefits, you will receive a notice from Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits by mail or by email.
To request payment for your PTO benefits, submit the digital PTO Benefit Packet request below – this is the fastest and easiest way to claim your PTO benefit!
Use This Benefit
To receive your PTO benefits, you need to fill out the W-9 form if you haven’t already done so. If you do not, you will not be paid out as this benefit is taxable. You will receive your payment by a check in the mail unless you choose to receive it via direct deposit into your bank account. To receive payment this way, simply fill out the Direct Deposit Form and provide a voided check. (You can’t use direct deposit if you don’t have a bank account.) Receiving your payment by a check in the mail generally takes longer than direct deposit.
With this benefit, we urge you to complete the Designation of Beneficiary Form so that the person you choose receives your unclaimed PTO payment in the event of your death.
Fill out the Designation of Beneficiary Form.
If you have filled out your W-9 form and sent it to us, you can expect to receive payment in about 15-20 business days.
Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits
Reasons to contact the Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits:
- Request your PTO balance (how many hours you have left)
- You believe the PTO check you received is for the wrong amount
- You did not receive a notice about your PTO eligibility but believe you should have
For all other questions about the Paid Time Off benefit, call 1-844-503-7348, 8 am to 6 pm PST, Monday-Friday
Frequently Asked Questions
Read common questions about the Carewell PTO benefit. See the FAQs page for more information.
How is my Paid Time Off benefit calculated?
Your Paid Time Off benefits are determined based on your wages earned in the first month you became eligible. For many care providers this is $17.77 per hour as the base rate, beginning January 1, 2023.
How do I find out my PTO benefit balance?
You can call Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits at 1-844-503-7348.
Why should I complete the Designation of Beneficiary Form?
This form makes sure that in the event of your death, the person you choose receives the balance of the PTO benefit you’ve earned. If any of the following is true, your PTO balance will be paid to the executor of your estate:
- You don’t choose a beneficiary;
- The person you choose as a beneficiary dies before you;
- The person you choose as beneficiary can’t be located.
Fill out the Designation of Beneficiary Form.
How do I find a backup care provider for my consumer during my time off?
It is not your responsibility to find your own replacement when you take paid leave. The consumer has the primary responsibility for selecting and hiring their providers. Paid leave must be prior authorized by the consumer, relief must be available if necessary and the consumer must notify the appropriate agency to authorize the substitute worker’s hours. Sometimes the consumer will require assistance from the case manager/personal agent/service coordinator in finding a suitable replacement provider.
Do I need to report what days or hours I am taking off from my consumer to Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits?
No, you do not need to report your time off to Carewell SEIU 503 Benefits.